Events at Sandman Book Company include book signings, children's hour, sidewalk sales, and more. Like us on Facebook for information about upcoming events. Authors, if you would like to join us for an event, please review our Author Information below.
Subscribe to our newsletter (it's free) & join other bibliophiles who recieve advance notice of sales, coupons, special events, promotions and vacation hours. We utilize an email program which provides our customers with a simple way to update their information or unsubscribe from our mailing list. Previous newsletters can be found in our MailChimp Archive.
We are located in Turtle Crossing Plaza, at 16480 Burnt Store Road, Punta Gorda, FL 33955.
Twin Isles Book Club. This group meets on the third Wednesday of the month (except for November and December). For more information, contact Gretchen at 637-1232
Burnt Store Marina Book Club. This book club has been active for about fourteen years. Members take turns hosting meetings at their homes. Members are not required to live in the Marina, although most do.
Red Fish Bookies. In the past this club has read "I Feel bad About My Neck" by Nora Ephron, "A Land Remembered" by Patrick Smith, and "A Secret Kept" by Tatiana de Rosnay.
South Shore Book Club at Burnt Store Marina. Meets at 4pm on the second Tuesday of the month at the South Shore Clubhouse. For more info contact Susie Wood (505-8417 or swood3230 at yahoo.com).
Punta Gorda Isles Book Club. For more info contact Brenda Capek (505-1404 or 662-0905).
Literary Lions Book Club. Previous books have included the "Millenium" series by Steig Larsson, the "Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon, "The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer, "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffeneger, "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card & "Ilium/Olympos" by Dan Simmons. Membership by invitation only; for more info inquire in person at Sandman Book Company.
Each year, on the Saturday after Thanksgiving we run a huge book sale (for instance, last year, our entire stock of used books was half off normal prices). Visit us in November 2014 for the next one.
We stock local & independent authors' books on a consignment basis. If you'd like us to stock your book, call or stop by the shop at your convenience. You should bring:
- at least two copies of your book
- custom displays, business cards, bookmarks, t shirts, hats, posters, trading cards or other promotional materials (we love to wear stuff that promotes local books, like our Fly on the Wall baseball caps, Bobby the Bowler t-shirts and Killer Kisses coffee mugs).
- ... and anything else you think will be useful.
What Sells The Best?
Although you should never judge a book by its cover, most people do. A book has less than a second to catch the attention of a new reader, so it's very important that the cover contains the "right" information. Books with successful in-store sales tend have these features:
- a low price point (under $10)
- strong local interest ("Punta Gorda" in the title or on the cover is always a big selling point)
- A mystery plot (e.g. “Sanibel Flats”) - or a "nature" plot (e.g. "The Orchid Thief")
- A short title which instantly brings to mind the correct genre (e.g. Steve Alten's "The Loch).
- high quality cover art (THIS IS REALLY REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT)
- a quick plot summary or simple tagline
- little, if any, info about the author on the exterior
Promoting Your Book
A few things you can (and should) do to promote your book:
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads & Pinterest
- Link to SandmanBooks.com from your website (“Signed copies of my book are available at Sandman Book Company, your friendly neighborhood bookshop”).
- Provide us with a high-quality electronic image of the book cover, which we can use to promote the book online when the opportunity presents itself.
- email us your Facebook page link (if you don't have one, get one)
- Subscribe to our (free) authors-only bookstore newsletter for updates when we have author events.
Going the Extra Mile
There are plenty of extra things you can do to promote your book, as well. Here are some examples of creative things other authors have done:
- Christine Lemmon brought us an adorable display (it's a beach chair) that draws a lot of attention to her “Sanibel Scribbles” book series.
- Sharon Buchbinder provided all kinds of freebies promoting her book “Killer Kisses” including themed candy, lip gloss, and more.
- DL Havlin gives away a free copy of “Timer-R” (a collection of his short stories), to customers who have purchased another one of his titles.
- RJ Friedman brought in t-shirts for his book "Bobby the Bowler;" Matt Anderson also brought shirts for his book "Beautiful Mourning;" Michael Hirsch brought hats for his book “Fly on the Wall.”
- Kate Nixon has been very vocal in her willingness to speak to local book clubs about her novel, "Heirloom Pearls" - if you are an author who would like to meet with a book club, please do let us know!
Author Instructions for Book Signings
We host author events on a limited basis during the winter (January through April). We do not charge for these events, but we do keep a percentage of the sales. In order to attend an author event, your book must be in stock at Sandman Book Company (see above for consignment instructions), and listed in the GoodReads.com catalog. You must also be on Facebook. Check our calendar for the next Author Event; if you'd like to attend, contact us by email or phone at your earliest convenience.