History Smashers: Christopher Columbus and the Taino People (Library Binding)
Warehouse, In Stock | Usually Ships in 1-5 Days | New
Other Books in Series
This is book number 8 in the History Smashers series.
- #1: History Smashers: The Mayflower (Paperback): $7.64
- #2: History Smashers: Women's Right to Vote (Library Binding): $14.94
- #3: History Smashers: Pearl Harbor (Library Binding): $14.94
- #4: History Smashers: The Titanic (Library Binding): $14.94
- #5: History Smashers: The American Revolution (Library Binding): $14.94
- #6: History Smashers: Plagues and Pandemics (Library Binding): $14.94
- #7: History Smashers: The Underground Railroad (Library Binding): $14.94
- #9: History Smashers: Salem Witch Trials (Paperback): $7.64
Myths! Lies! Secrets! Uncover the hidden truth about Christopher Columbus, and learn all about the Taino people. Perfect for fans of the I Survived books and Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales.
In 1492, Christopher Columbus sailed across the ocean and discovered America. Right? WRONG! Columbus never actually set foot in what is now the United States. His voyages took him to islands in the Caribbean and along the coast of South America.
The truth is, when Columbus first arrived, Indigenous peoples, including the Taino, had been living there for thousands of years, raising their families, running their societies, and trading with their neighbors. He didn’t “discover” the lands at all! And his name? Not even really Christopher Columbus! Cowritten by bestselling author Kate Messner and our country’s premier Taino scholar, this fascinating addition to the series is the one that teachers have been asking for and that kids need to read.
Discover the nonfiction series that demolishes everything you thought you knew about history. Don’t miss History Smashers: The Mayflower, Women's Right to Vote, and Pearl Harbor.
About the Author
KATE MESSNER is passionately curious and writes books that encourage kids to wonder, too. Her titles include award-winning picture books, like Over and Under the Snow; novels, like Breakout and Chirp; the Fergus and Zeke easy reader series and the popular Ranger in Time chapter books; and works of nonfiction with a focus on nature and history.
JOSÉ BARREIRO is a Cuban-born American writer, journalist, and former professor of Native American studies at Cornell University. He is a member of the Taíno Nation of the Antilles.
"With witty text and entertaining sidebars that add context, this highly illustrated myth-buster will entice reluctant readers and history buffs alike." -School Libray Journal