Chiles and Smoke: BBQ, Grilling, and Other Fire-Friendly Recipes with Spice and Flavor (Hardcover)
Ignite your grill and elevate your barbecue game with more than 65 unforgettable recipes that combine the big, bold flavors of chiles with smoke and fire.
It’s time to go beyond salt and pepper brisket! With Chiles and Smoke, professional recipe developer and pitmaster Brad Prose delivers a BBQ book unlike any other. Spanning beef, pork, chicken, seafood, and vegetables, each chapter also incorporates a variety of chiles, from spicy Jalapenos to bitter Shishito Peppers. Explore the alluring union of smoke and heat with recipes including:
- Beef and Lamb: Smoked Sonoran Chili, Harissa Beef Tacos, Coffee-Rubbed Tritip with Shishito Gremolata, Garlic Mojo Skirt Steak Tacos, Vindaloo-Spiced Lamb Lollipops, Smoked Lamb Barbacoa Banh Mi
- Chicken: Chipotle Tahini Grilled Chicken, Tandoori Butterflied Chicken Drums, Grilled Adobo-Rubbed Chicken with Creamy Herb Sauce, Grilled Chicken Tinga, Enchilada Wings, Bacon-Wrapped Cheesy Chicken Poblanos
- Pork: Crispy Pork Belly with Red Chimichurri, Chipotle Pork Belly Burnt Ends with Jalapeno Berry Sauce, Chile Verde Spare Ribs, Smoked Chorizo Meatballs, Roasted Chile Meatball Hero, Grilled Pork Tenderloin Al Pastor
- Seafood: Corn-Husk Wrapped Halibut with Jalapeno Basil Butter, Grilled Scallops with Charred Poblano Cream, Huli Huli Shrimp, Shishito, and Pineapple Skewers, Hatch Chile Smoked Shrimp Skillet, Tandoori Grilled Lobster, Planked Pomegranate Harissa Salmon
- Sides: Desert Deviled Eggs, Southwest Creamed Corn, Harissa Sweet Potato Salad, Creamy Jalapeno Popper Mac and Cheese, Lemon Serrano Grilled Summer Squash, Crispy Skillet Potatoes with Mojo Rojo and Verde, Chipotle Bacon Twice Baked Potatoes
In addition to the recipes, Brad walks you through how to char, grind, pickle, grill, and smoke chiles, demonstrating endless ways to liven up your meals. Sweet bell peppers are pickled with spices, topping mouthwatering meats and crisp vegetables. Fruity anchos are toasted, hydrated, and ground into pastes for flavorful marinades. Pork ribs are smoked slow and nestled into a stew of poblanos and bright vegetables before melting in your mouth.
Crank up the heat and bring these bold flavors to your next BBQ.
About the Author
Brad Prose is a longtime professional recipe developer, food writer, and culinary photographer—more recently, he has struck out on his own as the founder and force behind Chiles and Smoke™. His combined passion for fine dining and BBQ shines through his presentations and cooking style. Making his mark in the wide world of BBQ, Brad produces high-quality, unique recipes to challenge and expand the home cook’s comfort zone. He inspires his readers to use new techniques, ingredients, and ideas, applying them to the everyday food we know and love. Find him online at chilesandsmoke.com.
“This book is incendiary, and I don’t just mean chili hellfire. Brad shows you how to crank up the heat at the grill and in the smoker with electrifying recipes. With vivid photos, lucid instructions, and ingenious flavor combinations, Chiles Smoke is hot, hot, hot.”—Steven Raichlen, author of The Barbecue Bible cookbook series and host of Project Fire and Project S
“Whether I’m judging a competition or cooking at home, I love barbecue. But that doesn’t mean I’ve seen it all! I found Brad on social and have been a fan for a long time. In Chiles Smoke he dives deeper than online, sharing familiar and new ways to combine flavorful chiles with smoke and fire. It’s a game-changer for your next cookout.”—Chef Jet Tila
“As an avid BBQ smoker and griller, Brad’s Chiles and Smoke website caught my attention immediately. I have been following ever since—it is now my “go to” recipe and food instructional site. Brad develops recipes that are “out of the box” with creativity and pushes the boundaries of flavor! I am thrilled that he has shares his talents on these beautiful and enticing pages. Both professionals and home cooks are sure to enjoy this must-have book!”—Lee Ann Whippen, BBQ Hall of Famer, Pitmaster/Restaurateur
"Chiles and Smoke is a great resource for any cook wanting to improve their fire cooking skills. Educating yourself around what goes with what and how to make the most of your produce and your cooking is what elevates the dining experience. I’m a massive condiment fan, and Brad has done a fantastic job of writing some very unique recipes that will be a staple for any home."—Chef Sarah Glover
“I was ready for a change before reading. This book will take you outside of the barbecue box. The flavors and methods in this book are fresh.” —Pitmaster Matthew Deaton
“Jam-packed with fun, exciting dishes and bold, vibrant flavor, Chiles Smoke is guaranteed to find a permanent home in your kitchen and on your weekly meal plan.” —Chef Dennis Prescott, Author of Eat Delicious and co-host of Netflix's Restaurants on the Edge
“Chiles and Smoke! Two great tastes that have always tasted great together. In this book, Brad Prose filters this classic combo through a creative lens, yielding an overall collection of globally aware-American awesomeness."—Alex Stupak, Chef and Owner of Empellón Restaurant Group