Escaping the Build Trap: How Effective Product Management Creates Real Value (Paperback)
To stay competitive in today's market, organizations need to adopt a culture of customer-centric practices that focus on outcomes rather than outputs. Companies that live and die by outputs often fall into the build trap, cranking out features to meet their schedule rather than the customer's needs.
In this book, Melissa Perri explains how laying the foundation for great product management can help companies solve real customer problems while achieving business goals. By understanding how to communicate and collaborate within a company structure, you can create a product culture that benefits both the business and the customer. You'll learn product management principles that can be applied to any organization, big or small.
In five parts, this book explores:
- Why organizations ship features rather than cultivate the value those features represent
- How to set up a product organization that scales
- How product strategy connects a company's vision and economic outcomes back to the product activities
- How to identify and pursue the right opportunities for producing value through an iterative product framework
- How to build a culture focused on successful outcomes over outputs
About the Author
Melissa Perri believes the key to creating great products is growing great product leaders. As the CEO and founder of Produx Labs, she helps companies effectively scale their product organizations. Melissa also founded the online school Product Institute and started a program to train the next generation of Chief Product Officers. She is an internationally recognized, sought-after keynote speaker. Melissa graduated from Cornell University with a B.S. in Operations Research and Information Engineering.