Holy Living: Jonathan Edwards's Seventy Resolutions for Living the Christian Life (Paperback)
List Price: $16.95
Our Price: $14.41
(Save: $2.54 15%)
Warehouse, In Stock | Usually Ships in 1-5 Days | New
In Holy Living, author Matthew Everhard explores the "resolutions" Jonathan Edwards wrote when he was just nineteen years old, revealing how they are still beneficial to Christians today.
Though not yet ordained, Edwards (1703-1758) wrote these short but powerful aphorisms to guide his life, and now they offer spiritual guidance to a modern audience as well. Following a brief biography of Edwards, the book then looks at each resolution under three main categories: (1) existential (considering the purpose of life); (2) ethical (considering the duty and character of the Christian); and (3) eschatological (preparing for the brevity of life followed by death and eternity). Lay readers, pastors, students, church elders, and study group members will find troves of timeless wisdom and guidance for how to live the Christian life.
The book is divided into five sections:
- An Introduction to the Life of Jonathan Edwards
- The Meaning and Purpose of Life
- How Should We Then Live?
- The Brevity of Life and Eternal World to Come
- Why Did Jonathan Edwards Stop Using the Resolutions?
- Edwards's Youth and Conversion to Christ
- The Early Pastoral Years
- The Writing of the Resolutions
- Faith and Assurance
- Peace Relationships and Self-Control
- The Brevity of Life
- Heaven and Hell
- Between Antinomianism and Legalism
- Reflections of a More Mature Saint
- Resolutions and the Gospel of Grace.